Black mesh instead of regular White when trying to Voxelize

757   9   0
5 posts
Hello, I'm brand new to Houdini and trying to make some Game meshes. I can't figure out if this is my graphics card or there is something wrong with my model but in a nutshell I get this black mesh instead of white when trying to voxelize. I can send a file to anyone who wants to take a look at it. Anything helps

and I am sorry if this has already been asked on here.

Attachments:
troubleshooting.JPG (284.4 KB)

2539 posts
One thing to try, is to assign a default material. Then make sure the viewport Material button is turned on (it is by default), and activate the lighting with shadows button. You may want to add an area light or environment light as well.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
7 posts
might as well attach a file, it could be hard to tell/people just guessing otherwise...

maybe a guess: your normals are pointing in instead of out? that always makes things look super weird... try adding a normal sop or a facet sop after you convert to polygons. also there is a new quad remesh sop that will prolly come in handy.

hope that is helpful

~Maitland
5 posts
Thank you to the both of you and I am going to try these suggestions out.
5 posts
oh and here is a file link if anyone wants to take a look https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eUX5awZHXS1o7R-rxIZT3PaTQqkBHNAz/view?usp=sharing [drive.google.com]
7 posts
your file references an fbx that isn't included in the link
2539 posts
The problem is using that RemeshGrid node. I'm not sure why you need to remesh, but don't use that one. Try the new Quad Remesh (Beata)node available with the H20 release.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
5 posts
Oh Okay, thank you! Again I have no F%#king clue what I'm doing in this software I just know there is a technique where I can take my sculpted and kitbashed models and optimize them faster so I can throw into Substance and texture for pieces of 3d Concept art. Any pointers on the technique I am mentioning, I'm all ears.
Edited by dparcell87 - May 3, 2024 11:45:01
7 posts
yes try the new quadremesh node its greaet! also, try the instant meshes (labs) is a good one, if quadremesh doesn't get you there. (you also need to install instant meshes, but it is free and open source.)

Also, if you are trying to bake it to a substance, well you might want to start with some simpler geometry. Just try kitbashing a simple grid, then baking your grid out to a displacement map (for instance). then apply your kit bash displacement map, and finally apply your displacement map to your main geometry.

you can UV your main geometry (just the cylinder) using the "labs UV unwrap cylinder" node.

Make sure and install the SideFX labs tool set, that will help you a lot (click Labs->update labs at the top. if you are on steam, then get sidefx labs from the github)

also, take a look at this video, if you haven't seen it,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfS6ylg9vbA [www.youtube.com]

This "Simon Houdini" dude on youtube has some good techniques, you might also find something from this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7CDHwgWKVo [www.youtube.com]

I hope any of that helps! best way to learn houdini is to get in there and play around, ask some questions, and watch some videos!
  • Quick Links